Monday 16 April 2012

Pressure is On!

While June still seems a long way off I am definitely starting to feel the pressure of my departure. This week I will be reviewing my research plans with my committee and hopefully finalizing my safety plans as well.

 Preparations are going well. This week I finalized my plans for several more sampling locations and began contacting US Forest Service offices to obtain permits to sample inside a few national forests. The US Forest Service provides permits to obtain both biological and geological materials within their administered lands. However, I am a bit of a square peg to fit into their beaurocratic round hole. The permits are aimed at people who would like to get some rocks for their garden. As such the forest service has some specific locations within the forests where sampling is permitted. The idea that I needed a very specific rock from a specific area was difficult for them!

Today I purchased a propane tank, a very small portable BBQ and some adapter hoses. I already had a cooker so now will now be able to boil and BBQ food while on the road. Luxury! I am taking suggestions for meals in the comments section!

1 comment:

  1. Take along a fly rod and grill some trout! Good luck with your adventure.

    ReplyDelete