Saturday 24 March 2012

Overview

I am a Ph.D. student at the University of Calgary in Alberta, Canada. My thesis involves a mix of tectonics, sedimentology and geochronology. But wait! Before you navigate away assuming that this will be some tedious blog associated with the many trials and tribulations of undertaking a Ph.D., don't worry, this blog is not really going to focus on my research at all. Instead I'm going to use it to share with a greater audience the adventures I will have doing field work this summer while collecting data in support of my research.
Geological research often involves field work. Sometimes the locations are glamorous, often they are places nobody would visit unless they are interested in geology. I've been very fortunate in my career to have had the opportunity to look at rocks in some very cool places. My Ph.D. studies this year will take me into the western United States. While many people have visited the western US, geology often takes us off the beaten track to more remote, seldom visited areas. This summer I will be collecting data and rocks in New Mexico, Arizona, California, Nevada, Utah, Colorado, Wyoming, Montana and Idaho. As you may guess this amounts to an amazing month-long road trip through some of the most beautiful areas in the United States. Just to make it interesting I will be taking my 1959 Land Rover!
This blog will document my preparations over the next two months, while I decide on where to go and how I'm going to get there. I will be making some modifications to the Rover as well to facilitate my travels. I will be leaving Calgary in June and heading south. Follow along and enjoy the scenery, stories and adventures.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome Will! I'll look forward to folowing your adventures!

    ReplyDelete