Saturday 24 March 2012

Sleeping Quarters

My plan in June is to remain as flexible as I can about my accommodations, sleeping wherever I can to maximize the efficiency of my travels. I have very little money so I cannot afford to stay at hotels or fancy campgrounds every night. I plan to sleep on Bureau of Land Management (BLM) lands or in rest areas and truck stops. You can't pitch a tent in a truck stop or rest area so I've rigged up a bed inside my Land Rover. Surprisingly the distance between the rear window and the windshield on an 88" wheelbase Land Rover is exactly the length of a bed. I had a local welding shop make up supports to hold what amounts to a canvas stretcher above the bulkhead on the passenger side of the truck. I then sewed up the canvas to hang between the stretcher rods. I have always loved sleeping in cots while doing field work and this one is super comfortable. A couple of weeks ago I made drapes out of duck cloth to cover the windows and provide some privacy while I sleep. Set up and take down takes less than a minute and I get to sleep off the ground in the comfort and security of my truck!





2 comments:

  1. Looks cosy! Already an entertaining read and you haven't even been anywhere yet ;)

    On a side note, have you thought about allowing other blogger/google accounts to "follow" right on the blog rather than just having the RSS feed?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That look great.
    I'd love to see pictures of the rear supports and also how the bed shortens for travelling.

    ReplyDelete