Wednesday 28 March 2012

Land Access Issue

I've hit a land access roadblock in my planning! I had assumed, apparently incorrectly, that the Promontory Mountains in Utah would be Bureau of Land Management land. This afternoon I downloaded a Shapefile showing land status for the state of Utah and found out the entire promontory is privately held. I've found some climbers who've gained access to the area to climb peaks in the Promontory Mountains. Hopefully they can assist me in contacting the owners to obtain access (?!?!).

The Promontory Mountains are a normal fault bounded mountain range in Northern Utah and is a part of the basin and range geological province of the western US. The basin and range began forming about 20 million years ago in response to a change in plate stresses which resulted in lithospheric thinning and extension. The range is named for the south pointing peninsula it forms in the Great Salt Lake.

No comments:

Post a Comment