Tuesday 15 May 2012

Big day of working on the Land Rover. Started by reinstalling all the drivetrain components and refilling/changing all the fluids. Then started work on the auxilliary gas tank by fitting the filler neck, removing the tool box which used to occupy the space beneath the driver's seat and cutting holes to run the filler pipe and vent. All told I worked from 9 this morning until 9 this evening. Tomorrow The Welding Shop will weld on the frame support for the fuel tank and then I can get started running all the fuel lines and locating the tank selector switch. Hopefully I will take some photos tomorrow so you can see the progress. I have decided to install a second battery and a split charge system. I have been worried about draining the battery with cell phones, satellite phones, iPads, computers etc. while camping. A split charge system alleviates this problem by not allowing the starter battery to become discharged while the auxilliary battery supplies all the accessories with power. Slick but expensive. Also have to find a place for a second battery. I have ordered all the parts which should arrive tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. I'm sure you already know this, but careful with that Lucas wiring. You don't want to fry the wires at this point.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I imagine you know this too, but that secondary battery probably should be a deep cycle type that'll run your accessories longer than a starter.

    ReplyDelete