Thursday 31 May 2012

Drama with White River NF

One of my sample locations, near Glenwood Springs, CO, lies within White River National Forest. The way the timing is working out I will need to sample this location on the weekend. Apparently this is not possible as the geologist has to accompany me to the sample location!, Also there is no way to pick up the permit on the weekend as I have to sign for it.

White River NF has been very inflexible since my first contact with them. They have been by far the most difficult forest to deal with. Most gave verbal authorisation or sent me letters via email authorising my work. None required that I be accompanied. None required my to pay for a permit to sample for academic/research purposes.

So apparently my Eastern Uinta, Utah samples will have to wait until the end of my field work as I'm off to Colorado today to accomodate White River's inflexibility.

GRRRRR.

5 comments:

  1. Oh No! What a pain. Hopefully it works out ok to get the White River sample later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wait, I just reallized you're skipping your sample location in Utah to go get the White River sample NOW instead of on the weekend... So - I hope it works out ok to get the Utah sample later.

      Delete
  2. Sometimes people are harder than rocks! Hope you get what you need in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope the rest goes smoothly! Very unfriendly of them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Flexibility, the watchword of the field geologist". by me...now.

    ReplyDelete